What is KNOX Counter?
Knox is a very annoying and troublesome feature to most Samsung users who like to tamper/make heavy customizations to their device. “Tripping” the Knox counter will VOID your warranty, thus rendering your device useless to Samsung’s warranty center. The Knox counter shows informative and detailed information to Samsung’s employees. They use their systems to detect whether or not your device has been tampered with, past Samsung’s warranty.
If you for some reason want to claim warranty for your device, but haven’t done anything major to it like Root your device, or Flash Roms, then you should be fine in the warranty area. If you have however, this can be troublesome for you, as 99% of the time; Samsung’s warranty center will reject your warranty claim. When rooting your Samsung device with Odin and install SuperSU Root permissions app, you may be shown a notification Prompt when in the SuperSU app to Disable KNOX, this step is necessary for SuperSU to function properly.
Knox may sound like a very useless and annoying feature, but it has some security perks to it as well. Those of which include the following:
- If you somehow manage to lose your device, the device cannot be used unless the person has access to your Samsung account, on top of that, they cannot make firmware changes, like flashing a custom Rom or recovery, and cannot factory reset the device.
- KNOX uses its technology to secure your data and apps from unwanted hands.
How to check KNOX?
The easiest way to check or confirm whether or not your KNOX counter has been tripped is, enter “Download Mode.” Entering Download mode is different for some devices, for certain devices, you must hold the Power button + Home Button + Volume up and Down, at the same time. Usually the method for entering Download mode for most Samsung devices are as follows:
- Power off your device
- Hold Volume Down + Home + Power button
- On S8, S8 Plus, and Note 8. Hold Volume Down + Bixby + Power button. (Bixby is the new button located on the left side of the phone).
- You should see Warning!! Text on your screen, press Continue (Vol Up)
- At the top right hand side corner, you should see some text, you can recognize Knox as Knox Warranty Void: 0x0 (Which indicates your warranty is not void, and 0x1 for void warranty)